Yard Work That Lowers Your Chance of a Home Insurance Claim
Do you enjoy digging into the dirt to beautify your lawn? Yard work doesn’t only contribute to aesthetics, but can also protect your house and family. As you make your to-do list, think about adding some of these tasks.
1. Clean out the gutters. Gutters clogged with leaves, sticks and pinecones can cause water to run down your house and foundation, and in some cases, right into your basement or crawl space. Water can also back up onto the roof, causing damage to sub-roofing material.
2. Look at the slope of your yard. Again, you may be inviting water into your house if the ground slopes down toward the foundation. Re-grade the area or add in underground drainage pipes to direct water away from the house.
3. Inspect trees. Remove dead limbs before they fall and cause damage.
4. Trim overgrown shrubbery. They can provide a hiding spot for intruders.
5. Plant thorny bushes in front of first floor windows to discourage access there.
6. Check pool fences and gates for any weak points or problems.
7. Lay fresh mulch or soft ground cover under play structures and inspect it for problems, such as screws sticking out, splintered wood or rust.
The next time Mother Nature gives us a nice day, get outside and take an objective look at your yard and house. Make a list of jobs that need to be done for both beauty and protection. Then get to work! Your property will look better, and will also be less likely to experience an incident that requires a homeowners insurance claim.
Protect your family. Call McDonald Insurance Group at 303-957-1742 for more information on Littleton home insurance.