Home: Preparing for Winter Weather in Savanna, GA
Winter weather can wreak havoc on your home and property, potentially causing significant damage and incurring costly financial losses. In Savannah, Georgia, winter weather can be unpredictable, with temperatures fluctuating wildly. So it’s important to prepare your home for unexpected weather.
How to Prepare Your Home for Winter
When assessing your home’s condition and taking steps to protect both your property and financial situation from the harsh conditions of winter, consider the following guidance:
- Block cold air. Check your roof, walls and foundations for any holes or cracks and seal them to limit drafts. In addition, repair caulking and weather stripping around doors and windows.
- Check the chimney. Have your chimney swept and checked for any debris or cracks, and make sure your fireplace is cleaned before using it.
- Optimize energy usage. To limit any increases in your home’s energy bills during winter, consider insulating your water heater, clearing vents and radiators, and replacing dirty furnace filters.
- Look for leaks. Inspect your attic and any crawlspaces for signs of leakage, as water and cooler air could seep into your home, potentially causing structural damage and increasing your heating expenses.
- Keep pests out. As temperatures cool, rodents, insects and other pests may attempt to enter your home and take up residence. Prioritize cleanliness in your kitchen, pantry and other areas where you store food, flush your drains to remove food waste and crime, and store trash cans and recycling receptacles away from your home.
- Consider hiring professionals. While it may be tempting to perform home maintenance yourself, attempting to do so may be ineffective or lead to serious accidents and costly repairs. Hiring experts can provide valuable insight and identify issues that you might not notice.
- Consider your insurance. Adequate homeowners insurance can play a critical role in financially protecting you and your home from winter conditions. Revisit your policy to ensure you fully understand your coverage’s capabilities and limitations.
We’re Here to Help
Amid the dark, cold and wet conditions of winter, your home may be subject to many perils. Fortunately, by conducting your due diligence and preparing your property for these conditions, you may be able to minimize the possibility of sustaining damage and limit resulting financial losses.
At The Bush Agency, we have the knowledge and experience to help you acquire and maintain appropriate coverage for your home. Visit our website or call 912-356-0266 today to learn more.
This blog is intended for informational and educational use only. It is not exhaustive and should not be construed as legal advice. Please contact your insurance professional for further information.